Thursday, May 26, 2011

Coming full circle: Five things I learned


My time in Africa is coming to an end. I will carry away so much from this year. It’s been a long journey, and I am indebted to this program, to Zambia, and the people I’ve met along the way for the lessons I was able to learn.
The greatest thing I have learned is that life is very, very short. That we don’t have much time, and whatever we think lies ahead could change quickly. Do what you love, keep your eyes wide open, and let yourself experience fully whatever comes your way.
Secondly, I have learned to have greater patience. There is a time to let things sit, and there is a time to act.
Third, I have learned to be thankful. To not waste opportunities, nor to minimize the things I have and the people who are in my life.
Fourth, I have learned more about respecting others. That doing things differently doesn’t mean doing them wrong, and to observe first and judge second. 
Lastly, I have learned to love Africa in a way I never expected. To appreciate a place that dances with its feet while packing a punch in its hand. It’s not an easy or simple place, and things are rarely as they seem, but it has a spice that can be addicting.

No comments:

Post a Comment